Friday, 8 February 2013

Crocheting gingham

I am having a renewed love affair with gingham.

Like a lot of things, gingham went through a phase when it was considered a bit daggy.

But I have always loved the fresh, country look of gingham, and it fits right in with my eclectic home.

And who'd have thought - it seems that I am channelling designer couture, as gingham is quite 'hot' at the moment!

Anyhow, a few weeks ago, I stumbled across this blog, Teacup Lane, in which the author was extolling the wonders of crocheting a gingham rug from this book.  As this pattern combines two loves - crochet and gingham - I decided to give it a go, even though it looked a bit Tricky.

Here it is so far . . . I am using lovely green and cream Luxury yarns from Bendigo Woollen Mills as they are such a pleasure to work with.


I have to admit that the pattern has been a bit Tricky.  Not the stitches - just trebling -  but getting the knack of 'carrying' the back threads was a bit of a challenge for me, so it was a bit of a slower start than usual.  But I have persevered (I really want that gingham!) and I have now 'got it'.

UPDATE: Tutorial on carrying yarn, weaving ends and joining new colours here.http://ambientinclinations.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/gingham-crochet-rug-how-to-carry-yarn.html

The pattern is for a baby blanket, but I have decided to make a a larger rug as that would be more useful as a winter snuggle rug.

What with the delicious greens, the gingham pattern, taking time to crochet, and using such beautiful yarn, that's four pennies from heaven just by working on it!

Cheers

Nandina

No comments:

Post a Comment