Friday, 15 February 2013

Cute curtains

In the 12 years I have lived in this house, I never thought about putting curtains in the bathroom or the loo till recently.

It suddenly dawned on me that we all spend a fair bit of time in these rooms, so why neglect them?  Why not make them a pleasant space?

So, I searched for a pattern and settled on a lovely valance pattern on Ravelry.   I liked the idea of a valance, as I would still be able to have my plants, bits and bobs on the window sill.

Here is my first attempt.


I put it up in the bathroom.  However, I found that the 'quite solid' motif made the bathroom a bit dark, and I decided it would work better in the loo (once my son gets around to putting up the hooks for me).

But after taking it down, I realised that I missed having a curtain in the bathroom.  The window looked undressed!

I had a think about how I could adjust the pattern to make it work in my bathroom.  I decided to use a more airy motif from the one in the pattern and have three rows of motifs instead of two (I think odd numbers look more symmetrical).  My aim was to have more light come through, and give it a slightly more 'vertical' feel.  I also made it wider than my first, so it would be slightly wavy when it was hung.

I chose the lazy daisy from this book as the centre of each motif, and stitched dc stitches around (with a tr and chains for the corners) to make the daisy into a square.


I then followed the pattern, joining the motif squares (accommodating my changes) and doing the edges and hanging loops.

And today, I finished my new bathroom curtain!


Can you see the way it hangs a little wavy?  (The colour in this photo is somewhat inaccurate, because of the flash - the curtain is actually an antique cream colour in 'real life', like the previous photo)

Even though the new curtain is slightly longer, the daisy motif does seem to let in more light . . .




And I am especially proud of the picot stitch in the edging!  Just for fun, and to continue the more vertical feel, I made a slight variation in the bottom edging by adding a picot into the centre of each shell.  (Instead of the middle treble stitch, I chained three and slip stitched into the first chain, making a picot).  Here's a close-up:



I used 'parchment' cotton from Bendigo Woollen Mills for both valances.

My son reckons I am turning my house into a hippie paradise.  Maybe so, but maybe that's how I like it.

I am now considering bedroom curtains . . . but that's another story!

Nandina

No comments:

Post a Comment