Friday, 22 March 2013

Mmmm, home made tomato soup!

Lots of tomatoes means finding a way to use them up.

I tend to give a lot away, but if I have a backlog we can't use up quickly enough, I usually make tomato soup.

I have tried a few recipes but my favourite is this one - it looks simple but tastes awesome - particularly so if you have fresh basil, as the recipe indicates.

The recipe only takes about half an hour to make from start to finish.  I usually double the recipe if I have enough tomatoes - that way there is some to freeze in meal-size containers.

Oh Look at those tomatoes!  Yum!




Into the sautéed onions and potato they go . . .

After adding chopped basil, milk and a stock cube, the whole thing simmers for a bit - until the potato and onion is really soft - then the stick blender works its magic.

TIP:  I had forgotten, since last summer, that it helps to remove the tomato skins beforehand to save the annoyance of having to pick the skins out of the stick blender at the end.  To remove the skins, pour boiling water over the tomatoes and leave for five or 10 mins.  This makes the skins split so you can remove them easily. You can then chop them up and use them as required.

In spite of this minor setback, my tomato soup was ready just in time for lunch (and it went down very well!)


 Nandina



No comments:

Post a Comment