Monday, 1 April 2013

Cool denim throw rug

Ah, the simple pleasure of starting a new project.

This time, the decision on what yarn to use was also simple.


It was time to use up some yarn that had been hanging around for a while, namely, this lovely denim mix.  (I had bought this yarn for a project that never got past the planning stage.)

And after months of fiddly gingham, I was looking for a nice, relaxing project.  That's when I recalled seeing Bella Dia's Vintage Vertical Stripe Blanket!

Due to the flexibility of the pattern, I am able to use 8 ply yarn (with a 4mm hook) rather than the prescribed 10 ply.  10 ply or 'aran' is harder to come by here, I don't know why.

So that is that - I am embarking on another throw rug!  This time, I am planning to give the rug to my younger daughter, who adores the colour blue.

Instead of the constant colour changes the pattern calls for, I have decided to make the rug predominantly blue denim (denim goes with everything, right?!), but with a mixture of contrasting stripes in cool-toned colours.

For the contrasting colours, I have chosen mostly blues, greens and purples, but with the odd ruby, plum, cream and taupe:


Some of these yarns come from my stash, but I did have to go and buy some of the others this morning  . . . ironic I know, given this is supposed to be a stash busting project!  I particularly like the deep blue-green at the back far right.

Here is my Work In Progress so far:


I can't tell you how simply lovely it is just getting into the comforting rhythm of this pattern.   I will  post the finished project when the time comes!

Note: The pattern states that you should leave the yarn end for darning in later.  Hmm, that does not appeal to me At All.  You may have gathered from my gingham rug post that I am not a big fan of weaving in the ends all in one boring sitting!

So, I have come up with a way to circumvent all that end-weaving.  In this pattern, you stitch into the spaces between the stitches, leaving a little gap between the rows.  Because of this slightly gappy stitch,  I don't want the ends to be obvious after I have crocheted over them.  So, in addition to crocheting over them after turning, I am hiding them on the row after that, as follows:

You will already have crocheted over your two ends while completing the previous row (here, I crocheted over the cream and blue ends with the blue row).

Turn and commence the next row as usual (here, the next row is ruby red).


In the picture above, I have now almost reached the end of the ruby row, and here are the blue and cream yarn ends that I had crocheted over with the blue.


While the cream yarn end is not very obvious, the blue can be seen laying over the top of the cream row.  I want to hide this blue end.  So I am going to include that blue yarn end when I stitch over the blue treble.


In this photo, I have done my 'yarn over hook' in the ruby, and have picked up the yarn end.  I am about to put the hook into the space under the blue, to complete the treble (dc) stitch (in this pattern, you stitch into the spaces between the stitches).

On completion, the yarn ends you crocheted over do not show through the gaps in your work, and you don't have a massive weaving chore waiting for you at the end of the project - all you have to do is carefully snip any protruding ends!  

Cheers

Nandina




No comments:

Post a Comment