Sunday, 9 June 2013

My early Winter garden

When I started gardening, one of my aims was to have something interesting happening in every season.   I am delighted to see that this goal is coming to fruition!

June is our first month of winter.  In Canberra, plants have to be tough enough to withstand Canberra's hot, dry summers and cold, frosty winters that can go down to - 8C.

So far, we have only had a few nights of minuses, the coldest being -3C.  

During my brief wander in the garden this morning, I found some rather lovely examples of winter colour:
 

This Camellia Sasanqua is called 'Beatrice Emily'.  I have planted them all around my courtyard.  Being slow growing, they are only about a metre tall, but I hope to have blossoms as high as the fence one day!  


Some of the geraniums (really pelargoniums) still think it's Autumn! - maybe because they are up against the brick wall.  I particularly like the pink one on top of the ladder, because its buds look like little rosebuds.  I was given the cutting by a friend, so I think it's quite an old-fashioned variety.



Correas do well in my garden.  The top one is 'Dusky Bells' and the lower one is 'Marion's Marvel'.  They are in full glory!


The nandinas (Nandina Domestica) are doing their marvellous thing - creamy flowers that turn into bright red, cheery berries.


This hebe (one of the Wiri varietes) is the only one still in flower.  Hebes do seem to have a 'shelf life' in my garden.  This one is only one year old. and is still quite bushy.  


One solitary cauli!  The others are all leaves and no developing fruit.  Oh well, win some, lose some.  And look at those leaves - those naughty caterpillars!


This is the first year my nerines have flowered.  I am pleased!


I like the way this (anonymous) succulent gets bright red tips in the cold weather.  


Miss Daphne (Daphne Odora) s in bud - Daphne is my all time favourite scented plant - great for filling a room with its delicious fragrance.  This one is about 12 years old.   I would expect it to flower in mid-winter.  

So there you have it.  Winter can still be a lovely time in the garden.  

Nandina







No comments:

Post a Comment