Monday, 23 September 2013

Upcycled wheelbarrow

After all the palaver and pre-wedding jitters last week, the wedding day was wonderful and everything went smoothly!  (I will post some photos of the day once received).

Now, post-wedding, I am having 'a bit of a breather' by way of a week's leave from work.  The weather is so beautiful today that I have decided to finish off a garden project I have had on the boil for a little while.

You may recall that I already have a wheelbarrow garden . . .


Here it is, taken last summer.

However, I have also had another old, forgotten wheelbarrow sitting forlornly behind the shed.  A year or two ago the cross piece rusted off, causing one of the legs to keep buckling, so I bought a nice new barrow.  It only recently dawned on me what a perfect planter the old barrow would make.

So, a couple of weeks ago I spruced up the old barrow with some outdoor paint (I used Dulux Weathershield low sheen paint, in 'Ecru').


And Today, I have decided, is Barrow Day.  Here is the barrow 'in situ' right before I begin to drill some drainage holes into the base.


Drainage holes ensure that the plants don't drown!

[Just as an aside, this was the first time I have ever used a drill.  I got some advice from the hardware store and ended up buying a $20 cheapie drill and one drill bit!  It worked a treat and was not as tricky as I had anticipated!]

I then filled the barrow with good potting mix and planted a mix of herbs and potted colour.



The fluffy, taller plant at the back is bronze fennel.  In the front is oregano, and the plants on each side are little stripy petunias.  All should spread and fill the space.

I will update this post in a few weeks, so you can see how it looks once the plants have taken off.

As I was in the mood for planting, I also planted up some seeds in seed trays.  A whole tray of heirloom tomatoes, and coriander, chives and Thai basil in the other. tray.


All the best

Nandina





No comments:

Post a Comment