Saturday, 11 January 2014

Heat wave

Another heat wave is upon us.  We are expecting 34 degrees (Celsius) today, and the five days from Tuesday are all forecast to be 37 degrees or more.

I took this snap from my front step this morning at quarter to 8 this morning, and you can already see the heat haze on the mountains.

We have not had any good, soaking rain for a couple of months.

Sometimes, this gets me down.  Sometimes, even our wonderful blue sky can seem a bit relentless (or even slightly malevolent) when there has been no good rain for ages.



I am still doing my best to improve my microclimate, but obviously there is only so much I can do when there is no rain at all.  This means that I am spending rather a lot of my spare time arranging soaker hoses and sprinklers to keep my vegies and beloved ornamentals from carking it.

But I will never give up.  Sure, it's all quite time consuming, but I do find it worthwhile to maintain my garden, in so many ways.

My garden is noticeably cooler that those fashionable places with nothing but boiling hot paving and ugly spiky 'architectural' plants!   I get to sit under cool, shady trees.


This is my favourite reading spot in the garden, which is delightfully cool and shady on the hottest of days.

And sometimes plants surprise you.  Even in mid summer, some are thriving.


These hebes have rewarded a bit of watering with pretty spiky flowers.


Grey-leaved plants seem to be managing nicely too.   This sedum is getting ready for flowering.


This euphorbia seems to be doing pretty well even though it is in quite a neglected spot.

And my zucchini plants are going gang busters!


When I deep watered the patch yesterday morning I didn't see the above fruit at all.  I took this picture this morning and there it was.  What an amazingly productive plant.  I think I might have to give some away this year . . . !

And finally, finally, some tomatoes.  Nothing beats a sun warmed tomato straight off the plant.


These two are the first fruits to ripen.  Which is just as well, because tomato plants go 'on hold' during heat waves so I am not sure when the next lot will ripen.

And my beloved plums are looking really promising.


There is something tangible but incredibly hard to express about the satisfaction I get from participating in the sowing, planting and reaping cycle.  I'm trying hard not to sound too much like a 1960s hippie, but I do feel a deep connection to the earth that makes me feel more 'alive'.  So I will keep going, despite the impending heat wave, because my garden gives back in spades.

Nandina







No comments:

Post a Comment