Saturday, 22 February 2014

A breath of fresh air

To celebrate the freshness in the air since the rain has come, I have been inspired to start a new crochet project in cotton, using lovely fresh green and cream.


I am making a summer weight bed coverlet - for those in between nights when it is too hot for a doona/duvet but you need more than a sheet alone.  

I am basing the coverlet on this blanket . . .


 . . . from '55 Crochet Gifts for the Home' by Angela King.


I picked up this book last year at the Lifeline Book Fair for a remarkable $4!  It is a lovely book with some rather pretty homeware patterns.


As you can see the 'small blanket' pattern is very straightforward - you just dc (US sc) long strips of 'squares' (each alternate strip starting with the other colour) then join the strips together to make the blanket.


So far, so good!

I am using 8 ply (double knit) cotton from Bendigo Woollen Mills, in Honeydew and Parchment.  For my coverlet I have made each strip 21 'squares' long - just short of the length as a single bed blanket (to allow for a border).

I  am finding it a very simple, soothing make.

Probably the only drawback so far is the number of ends I am going to have to weave in.  I usually crochet over ends as I go, but I was hesitant to do that in this project as it looked as if they would be visible due to the colour changes.  I will have to do some experimenting as I do detest loose ends!

I am also anticipating a bit of experimenting to find an edging I am happy with.  While the pattern calls for a fringe (and  I love a good fringe), I want to be able to wash the coverlet without too much fuss and a fringe would be a nuisance.

More anon!

Nandina




No comments:

Post a Comment