Saturday, 15 March 2014

Mulching the days away

The weather has turned a little cooler and more pleasant.  We are relishing the ability to think clearly and actually enjoy the outdoors!

However, weeds also love this 'in between' weather.  Despite my best efforts in spring and summer, they're back . . .  and I really, really don't want to share my space with these greedy little mongrels:


pampas grass


three cornered jack


creeping spurge (caustic weed)


purslane (pigweed)


mallow


and these broadleaf weeds that I don't know the names of, like this one.

So I have been mulching, mulching, mulching, to smother them and make it easier to pull them out (preferably before they flower and spread their seed).

Another big bonus of my present mulching strategy is that I am also reducing my 'grassed area' (it is too neglected to be called 'lawn') and hopefully slowing down the flow of water when it rains.


In general I find grass pretty low maintenance so long as the area is not too large.  It has also been my experience that grass is far cooler in summer from a microclimate perspective than, say, cement and paving.  However too much grass can be too much of a good thing.

When I first moved here in 2000, almost the entire block was grassed and it took me a couple of hours (usually in the hot sun) to mow.  Once I finish this bout of mulching, only about one quarter of the block will be grassed - some out the front and some out the back - far more manageable!

So, onward ho with the mulching and weeding!

Nandina

No comments:

Post a Comment