Friday, 30 May 2014

Gorgeous gardens - part 2

During my trip to Melbourne I was fortunate to be able to visit two Diggers gardens - Cloudehill in the Dandenongs, and Heronswood at Dromana.  As a Diggers member, entry to both gardens was free!  

Cloudehill

Cloudehill is literally 'around the corner' from the National Rhododendron Gardens (the subject of my last post).  I was not sure what to expect from Cloudehill, but suffice to say I was completely bowled over.  What a gorgeous place - there was something quirky and interesting around every corner!

Works of art, garden structures, and beautiful stonework enhanced the garden's design.





Interesting plant combinations added depth and texture to the rampant autumn colour.





 And I was particularly taken with this wiggly box hedge!


I was unaware until I reached this sign that Cloudehill also flows into another garden, Rangeview, which is a beautiful, ferny, wild garden with mysterious paths.



The slanted light was amazing during the afternoon that I spent wandering these gardens.

Heronswood

The following day's trip to the Mornington Peninsula included a visit to Heronswood at Dromana.

The house itself is a beauty - all that lovely stonework!


I was particularly taken by the fact that Justice Higgins, renowned for his Harvester Judgment, had resided there.


The garden surrounds include a demonstration parterre garden.


The garden design created picturesque views at every turn, and incorporated both formal elements and natural form.






As it was unseasonably warm that day, I enjoyed a refreshing devonshire tea at the tea rooms inside Heronswood.  The house also accommodates a garden nursery and a Diggers shop.

My visit to Heronswood crowned a day trip that also included a trip to the Cape Schank lighthouse - I just cannot resist including a picture of the lighthouse, so here it is!


Nandina



No comments:

Post a Comment